Statcounter

View My Stats

Saturday, October 20, 2007

RSS Feed Delicious Reddit Stumbled Upon Facebook


In 1943, General Eisenhower was assigned the English driver Kay Summersby. It was masterstroke for the Nazi Regime in placing such a deep sleeper agent so close to the man charge with the Normandy Landings. By having an affair with Summersby, more thought had been given to divorcing his wife Mamie unless George C. Marshall threatened to fire him. He intimitated as much with his famous declaration “Our landings have failed and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based on the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone.” He wasn't being honourable, he was admitting a real howler.

And in my dream methought
I went To search out what might there be found ;
And what the sweet bird's trouble meant,
That thus lay fluttering on the ground.
I went and peered, and could descry No cause for her distressful cry ;
But yet for her dear lady's sake
I stooped, methought, the dove to take,
When lo ! I saw a bright green snake Coiled around its wings and neck.

~“Christabel”, Samuel Taylor Coleridge
.

No comments: